The Singapore Bioimaging Consortium and Select Biosciences South East Asia are pleased to report on the success of The Clinical Applications of Stem Cells, which took place at The Academia, Singapore General Hospital Campus, Singapore on the 26-27 February 2015.
The meeting brought together researchers and clinicians focusing on translating basic discoveries in the stem cells field into applications for regenerative medicine and cellular therapy. The international attendees discussed the current research, clinical practices and how the global regulatory agencies view the translational efforts. Networking took place in the brand new Academia conference facilities and then back in time for the Evening Reception which was held at the historic Hotel Fort Canning, a landmark in Singapore.
On the first day the event featured Keynote Presentations from:
- Conference Chairman, Lawrence Stanton, Associate Director, Stem Cell Research, Genome Institute of Singapore and
- Minoru Ueda, Former Professor and Chairman at Nagoya University, Japan, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chairman of Regeneration Factor Pte. Ltd.
Day two saw Keynote Presentations from:
- Edward Lanphier, Chairman, Alliance for Regenerative Medicine , Chairman/CEO Sangamo BioSciences and
- Mari Dezawa, Professor and Chair, Department of Stem Cell Biology and Histology & Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, Tohoku University
Topics discussed at the event included;
- Adipose-derived Stem Cells
- Adult Stem Cells for Cellular Therapy
- Clinical Translational Applications with Pluripotent Stem Cells Cosmetic Surgery and Associated Applications
- Current State of the Science
- Dental Applications
- Disease Classes Addressed and Current Status of Ongoing Clinical Trials Orthopaedic Applications
- Regulatory Landscape and Ethical Considerations
- Research vs. Clinical Challenges in Stem Cell Translation
- The Path to Commercialization
- Umbilical Cord Blood-derived Stem Cells
- Veterinary Applications of Stem Cells
The highly topical Panel Discussions covered the following areas:
- Day 1 – “Stem cells versus gene therapy as potential therapy in human disease”
- Day 2 – “Regulatory Affairs”
The feedback for the event was exemplary and some of the quotes received are shown below:
- “Excellent job” Baylor Scott and White
- “Good quality leads, will definitely be involved next year” Adigenics
- “More intimate event, leads to more serious approaches” Biosafe
- “Topics of discussion are good” Lonza
- “Excellent venue and good networking time” Stemcell Technologies
- “Good networking opportunities” Christian Medical College “Good speakers and topic coverage” SBIC
- “Well done event” UCL
- “Very good food and refreshments” Sogang University
Next year’s event will take place over two and a half days with more speakers and further additions to the comprehensive programme – the dates are Wednesday 24th, Thursday 25th and Friday 26th February 2016.
Paul Raggett, CEO
Select Biosciences South East Asia Pte. Ltd.
16 Raffles Quay, #33-03 Hong Leong Building, Singapore 048581
Tel: +65 9186 3246
Email: [email protected]