Competition: The Great Lab Challenge
The Great Lab, organised by a group of undergraduate students passionate about science and supported by Collaborative Research in Engineering, Science and Technology (CREST) Malaysia, is an innovation challenge open to all Malaysian students from pre-university level all the way through to postgraduate level. The aim of the challenge is to cultivate an innovative spirit within Malaysian students as well as expose our students to the scene of industrial research and development back home in Malaysia, through a comprehensive competition involving aspects of proposal writing, ideas pitching as well as eventual product design and development.
The Great Lab’s industrial partners currently include major players in the technology industry such as Intel, OSRAM and National Instruments. The industrial partners each state a few problems which they foresee that their industrial sector needs to tackle in the near future, and each participating team (consisting of 1-3 members) will pick one of these problem statements to write a solution proposal on, subsequently standing a chance to be selected to participate in a 3-month long industrial research placement scheme where they can utilise the resources and mentorship of the industrial partner to design and develop their proposed solution into a workable prototype. Deadline for submission of proposal is the 4th of April 2014.
The format of The Great Lab is as follows:
Stage 1 (11 March 2014 – 4 April 2014)
- Participant chooses a problem statement and writes a proposal on how to tackle the problem posed
- Participant submits proposal through our online portal at http://www.thegreatlab.com/
Stage 2 (by 19 April 2014)
- Qualifying participant undergoes teleconferencing-based pitching session with industrial partner to further elaborate on proposal
Stage 3 (4 July 2014 – 6 July 2014)
- Qualifying participants will be invited to Workshop Series which will have technical hands-on sessions to facilitate the learning of industrially-relevant skills as well as mind-stimulating debate sessions with industrial and academic leaders
Stage 4 (July 2014 – Sept 2014)
- Participants successful in pitching session will undergo 3-month industrial research placement scheme whereby they will collaborate with and be mentored by their respective industrial partners to develop workable prototypes based on their proposed solutions
For further enquiries, please:
- Visit http://www.thegreatlab.com/ — problem statements can be viewed upon registration using a valid e-mail address
- Contact The Great Lab Collaborative (organising committee) at thegreatlabteam[at]gmail.com
- Visit and ‘like’ The Great Lab’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thegreatlab.malaysia — follow real-time updates about road shows, innovation news, and tips and tricks on how to approach the Challenge in general
Note: Leon Kong, a member of the organising committee is also a Scientific Malaysian member. Any queries can be directed to him on Scientific Malaysian discussion thread here: The Great Lab challenge.
The Great Lab Poster: PDF
This press release was provided by The Great Lab.